Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
Located in Cardamom hills region of the Western Ghats of Idukki District of Kerala, Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary
is one of the largest and most frequented wildlife reserves in India
covering landscape of 777 square kilometers. It was declared a Tiger Reserve in 1978 and later as National Park in 1982.
This Wildlife Park lies around the Periyar Lake
. This lake came up with the construction of a dam on the River Periyar. This artificial lake is surrounded by swamps and marshes in grasslands to facilitate a natural habitat
for various wildlife species
Wild population in the Park
Animal species :
Indian Elephant, Tigers, Leopards, deer, Gaur, Wild dogs, Nilgiri Langurs, Nilgiri Tahr
King Cobra, python, lizards etc.
Avian species :
Lion tail Macaques, Giant Hornbill, Darter, Cormorant, Racket-tailed Drongo, white-bellied tree pie, flycatchers and laughing thrushes
Features of the Sanctuary :-
- The only sanctuary in India for viewing wildlife at close quarters from the safety of a boat on the lake.
- The Periyar Tiger Trail – monitored tour programmes for spotting tigers in which medically fit travellers in the 15-65 age group are allowed.
- English speaking armed guards and guides for the groups of tourists.
- The Bamboo Barista (huts made with bamboo and grass) for tourists to stay overnight.
- Audio-visual presentations on wild life preservation and Tribal Heritage Programme including a visit to the tribal hamlets and Tribal Heritage Museum.
As the park premises are declared as polythene free zone
, don’t carry polythene bags. The rain forests of these region are known for their leeches. Prefer to wear high ankle leech proof jungle boots.
Reaching There :
By Air :
The nearest Airports are Madurai (140 kms), Kochi (185 kms) and Thiruvananthapuram (253 kms).
By Rail :
The nearest railway station is Madurai (137 kms)
Best Season to Visit :
August to May
Create My Trip