5,000 ft above Sea Level in the Western Ghats of Idukki District
Known As :
Best Time to Visit :
Post-Monsoon, September to May.
In Tamil, 'Munnar'
literally means 'three rivers'. True to its name, this town owes its existence and beauty to the confluence of three rivers namely Mudrapuzha, Nallathanni and Kundala. Right at the point of their confluence down the hills, the British government in South India groomed Munnar Hill Station
atop the hills 1600 m above sea level.
55 km from Idukki town, Munnar Hill Station is located in the Western Ghats of Idukki District. This is also known as Tea Country. Munnar was the Summer Capital of the south during British Epire.
Best time to visit this Hill Station is September to May (Post monsoon).
Visit the Milky Way of Munnar:
- Unending expanse of tea plantations dotted with spice plantation. Munnar is Kerala's premier tea-growing centre known as the High Range.
- Exotic species of flora and fauna in its forests. Neelakurinji flower cover the hills in blue once every twelve years (Last time in 2006).
- Wild animals to spot, golf to play, some trout fishing to do etc. Must visit Eravikulam National Park
- Ideal spot for trekking the highest peak in South India, ‘Anamudi’ - 2695 meters high . You may also indulge in fishing down in the streams.
- While walking through the green tea hills and breathing in strong aromas, don’t forget to visit over a hundred years old tea processing factories.
- Enjoy a cup of fine tea while sitting over a hill and beholding spectrum of changing colours in the sky during the sunset - red, orange and greenish.
About 13 km from Munnar, visit Mattupetty known for its highly specialized dairy farm established under ‘Indo Swiss Livestock Project’. At this Dairy Farm, more than a hundred of high yielding cattle species are reared.
A local Folksong aptly describes Munnar as a manifestation of unsurpassable talent of God.
How to Reach Kerala Munnar India
Cochin is the nearest airport to Munnar which is at a distance of 121 km. The airport receives flights from all major cities of India. From airport, you can hire a taxi to Munnar which will take nearly 4 hrs to cover the distance.
The nearest railhead too is in Ernakulam. There are two railhead in Ernakulam, North and South but are close to each other.
Munnar is well connected to all the major cities of Kerala and few cities of Tamil Nadu. The closest important cities are Cochin, Kottayam, Coimbatore and Madurai. five daily), Coimbatore (six hours, two daily) or Madurai (six hours, one daily).
Create My Trip