You may have been at sea beaches dancing on the waves or at hill stations breathing fresh air; but have been ever imagined sailing over the waters day and night? Life over backwaters can be a sweet memory of life and this is possible only at the backwaters of Kerala. Be at any of the below mentioned places this holiday to enjoy a surreal vacation.
This is one of the most popular backwaters of Kerala. Beautiful wooden houseboats sail over the placid waters of Alleppey, giving you the opportunity to sail through villages, green fields and floating lilies. The houseboats are intricately decorated and has all modern amenities to make your life comfortable.
Some of the cruises that you can enjoy here are:
- Cruise on Punnamada Lake. This is also the famous site where snake boat races take place.
- Cruise to Kumarakom, which is also a bird watching and fishing site.
- Cruise to Kottayam, basking in the natural bliss of Kerala.
- Cruise to Thottappally to view the historical monuments of the city.
- Cruise to Mankotta to check out the traditional coir making industry of Kerala.
Plan the perfect holiday with exciting offers South India Tour Packages.
Read More: Top 5 Major Tourist Attractions of Kerala.
Explore the mystery beauty of Kerala with 10 Days Kerala Tour.
Considered as one of the finest harbors of the world, Cochin is a blend of classic and contemporary lifestyle. Enjoy a ferry trip across the backwaters of Cochin to embrace the ethereal life of this beautiful tourist hotspot. What can you do at Cochin backwaters?
- Sail to the largest naval deck of India at Wellingdon Island.
- Cruise from Cochin to Alleppey and Kollam, listening to the tweets of numerous birds and witnessing the real lifestyle of Kerala passing by the villages.
- Visit the famous Fort Kochi; sail to Kumbalangi Integrated Tourism Village and enjoy a marine drive.
Read More: Ten Things to do in Kerala on Vacation.
Come Closer to Nature on a Kerala Wildlife Tour.
A bit different in looks and style than the other backwaters of Kerala, Kasaragod is a lush green landscape with 4 tear drop islands amidst placid waters. The houseboats here are called Kettuvallam; large enough to let you lay down and rejuvenate from all stress and hassles of daily life. You can
- Cruise to Chandragiri and Valiyaparamba, passing by local villages; often landing at these hamlets of peace and relishing steaming hot rice and fish curry, served on freshly cut banana leaves.
- Watch the miraculous beauty of Chandragiri River and Arabian Sea from the top of the Chandragiri Fort, which was built in the 17th
- Treat your eyes to the pristine beauty of the Valiyaparamba island, encircled by the mirrored waters of 4 rivers. This is a wooded backwater route and a great bird watching site.
Get best deal on 15 Days Kerala Ayurveda Tour
You may also like to read: A First Timer’s Travel Guide to South India
This old port town of Kerala comes with a breathtakingly beautiful landscape of tropical vegetation and the enchanting waters of Ashthamudi Lake. Enjoy
- A luxurious ride over the backwaters of Kollam which start from the Ashthamudi Lake.
- Sail through the tranquil waters, breathing a unique aroma which is special to this region.
- Enjoy bird watching, snapping rare photographs of colorful local and migratory birds, along with fleets of duck, floating water lilies and lotuses.
- An eight hour cruise over Kollam backwaters also take you to the Mata Amrithanandamayi Ashram Math, Portuguese Fort and Thangasseri lighthouse.
- Witness the unique fishing technique using Chinese fishing nets and duck farming at the villages, located at the banks of the backwaters.
Check out the detailed itinerary for 13 Days Best of Kerala Tour.
Famous as the virgin backwaters, the lagoons of Kozhikode are epitome of un-spoilt beauty. Houseboats floating over the sparkling backwaters of this place are no less than lavish villas and the sheer natural beauty surrounding the lagoons can be the best reason to be here. What else makes Kozhikode backwaters attractive?
- The sublime beauty of the surrounding deltas, rivers and lakes like the Kali River and the Canoli Canal.
- Cruises from Kozhikode backwaters to Kadalundi- Kasaragod and Kappad Beach.
- The exotic aroma of fresh spice from the spice plantations.
Suggested Tour Packages: 7 Days Kerala Honeymoon Packages.
You may also like to read: Top Ten Romantic Resorts in Kerala for Honeymoon.
Visit the backwaters of Kerala to witness unmatched natural beauty and rejuvenate your heart and soul.